Friday, July 8, 2011

Two roads-my miracle story

For as long as I remember I have always wanted to adopt.  I never really knew where the desire came from, it was just always there.  When Jason and I got married we would talk about having kids, how many we wanted, when we should have them, how we would raise them.  If you know me at all you know that I am a planner by nature.  I can't help but plan everything in my life.  On our vacations, I even plan what we will do to relax each day (which as you can imagine is a real treat for my husband who is not a planner).  So when it came time to talk about children, I of course had a plan.  But God had another.

Proverbs 16:9 says We make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps.

My plans seemed right at the time.  We had prayed about them and went ahead trying to fulfill what we thought was God's plan.  But as the time came for us to start having children, we found out that without a miracle we could not have children on our own.

What a crushing blow.  So as we prayed about what to do we decided to do In Vitro Fertilization.  This was a huge financial weight to bear but the Lord provided.  So we did our first round, we got pregnant but miscarried twins very early on, then another round, and miscarriage of twins. With each round the cost of this procedure weighed heavy, but the Lord always provided.  On our third round we got pregnant with our miracle Kellan.  10 months later we met our baby boy.  He is God's gift to us, a miracle in every sense of the word.  He is a daily reminder of God's faithfulness to us.  Even talking about God's goodness now, I cannot hold back the tears.  His plan might have been different than ours but I am so convinced that it is better than anything I could have planned myself. 

Along the road I have learned so much about faith, trust and how God speaks.  I trust Him more than I ever would have, should we not have gone through all that we did.  I’m sure that was God’s plan all along. 

So fast forward 2 years and here we are today.  As we pray about the next step in our family God has brought back to the surface the dream of adopting that I had all those years ago.  I never knew why the adoption had been so heavy on my heart but now as I realize the challenge for us to conceive naturally I have started to understand that again, God’s plan is so much better than ours. 

Just recently we have started the process for adoption.  This weekend we are attending our first training.  Again the financial cost of this process seems daunting but I know that this is just one more opportunity for our God to show himself faithful. 

This is never the way I would have planned to have a family, but it was God’s plan and not mine that brought us our sweet Kellan and will someday soon bring another gift into our home. 

2 comments:

  1. And His thoughts are higher! Keep me informed, I'd love to hear your process and who you're going through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant read this without either Aub. Kellan is a miracle baby and one of the best things in my life. Thank you guys for trusting in God even when it was tough, your power to press on and faithfulness to trust in God is a reminder to me and a perfect example of the way I need to live my life. I love you both so much (and my boy k dawg)

    ReplyDelete